Are you planning to move soon? The idea alone is stressful enough, so do yourself a favor by following some tips and hacks from Easy Moves to make your move a bit easier.
- Designate a donate pile for all items that you’re not planning to take with you and schedule it to be picked up a few days before your move. Not only are you able to help, but you can also claim a tax deduction! Just don’t forget your receipt. Alternatively, you can opt to have a yard sale.
- Update your address for all of your accounts, utilities, and subscriptions several weeks before moving day.
- Book your move with a professional mover ahead of time.
- Schedule your move for the middle of the month or the middle of the week, if you want to cut costs. It’s cheaper to move then!
- Measure! If any piece of furniture can’t fit into your new home, get rid of it.
- Buy gently used boxes from local retailers or businesses. Never use old boxes that have been sitting in your storage room, because they may no longer be secure enough.
- Put your clothes in a trash bag while they are still hanging in the closet. Unpacking will be so much simpler.
- Laundry baskets, trash bins, and suitcases all make good boxes.
- Use linens like pillows and blankets to wrap your dishes or fragile items so you don’t have to spend money by purchasing bubble wrap.
- As you disassemble furniture, keep all screws and hardware in a plastic bag. Label the bag and tape it to the furniture itself, or designate a separate box to hold all the hardware from your furniture.
- Use colored packing tape to mark boxes.
- Write the contents of each box on the box, or on an inventory list. If you’re computer savvy, create an Excel document that tracks the contents of each box. Simply search for the item that you need in the document, and you’ll know which box to open!
- Don’t forget to mark boxes with “FRAGILE” if they contain any breakable items. You don’t want anything shattered right?
- Use plastic wrap so you can leave small items in whichever container or storage bin they’re in. Do this under the lid of your toiletries as well to ensure they don’t spill during the move.
- Use toilet paper tubes to keep wires and cables organized.
- Pack jewelry in egg cartons to keep it tangle-free and organized during the move.
- Keep all your moving day essentials in an overnight bag. It’ll prevent you having to sift through your boxes to find your laptop, toiletries, clothes, and medications!
- Pack a “first night” items separately. This includes your bed sheets, toiletries and other items that you might immediately need.
During the move:
- Keep important documents like your Social Security Card handy during the move.
- Buy cereal, milk, and other easy breakfast items so that there’s food available the morning after your moving day.
- If you’re moving with kids, engage them into the moving process by giving them a special box for their things. Let them decorate the box as wildly as they like!
- Be ready by packing snacks. You need fuel to keep up with the moving activities.
- Place a rubber band around each door knob to prevent it from latching closed every time you carry a box out the door.
- Unpack your boxes in each room where they should be to avoid constant back and forths. This will save you time and energy.
- If you’re moving with a pet, put their food and water bowl in the same room where you had it in the old place. The more consistent you are with your pet’s routine, the less likely they are to be anxious or stressed.
For peace of mind, trust only professional movers if you’re one. Let Easy Moves help you move! We make moving easy!