MOVING & PACKING ADVICE by Easy Moves: Moving & Storage Company
Best Home Moving and Packaging Tips in Birmingham, Alabama
We’ve spent more than thirty years collecting tips for moving that will help you save money and get into your new home with less stress. As the largest franchised moving company in the United States, EASY MOVES® is lucky to have experts spread all across the country. And who better to ask for moving tips than the men and women who help move customers forward every single day? We’ve carefully compiled these tips from our top movers across the country. If you’re preparing to move, we hope that these bits of wisdom will come in handy!
Home Moving – Advice | Tips by Professional Movers
- Make your reservations for movers 2-4 weeks before your move date.
- Pack a box of essential items that you will need immedeately after the move, and make sure it’s the last item loaded.
- Drain all your power tools of oil and gas.
- Clearly label all items that are not being moved.
- Make arrangements for children and pets to be out of the house on move day.
- Color code, name, or number rooms so they correspond with boxes and furniture. This greatly speeds up the job.
- If moving at an apartment, make parking arrangements to have the best access possible for your move.
- If moving into storage, be sure to cover all matresses with a matress bag as moisture can develop and grow mold. We have these available upon request.
- Also if moving into storage, be sure to have pads or blankets that can be used to protect your furniture. We have paper pads available upon request as well.
- Call Easy Moves Moving & Storage for your free estimate so we can take care of all your moving needs, and show you how we make Moving Made Easy!
Home Packing – Advice | Tips by Professional Packers
- Start packing several weeks in advance to give yourself enough time.
- The kitchen will take the longest, keep that in mind.
- Use packing paper to pack your items and not newspaper, as the ink could stain your belongings.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Use only small boxes for books. Larger boxes will fall apart from the weight of the books.
- Clearly label all boxes on top and sides. Don’t forget to include the contents of the box on top.
- Pack similar weight items together.
- Remember: The heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Empty all fragile items from dressors.
- Always securely tape boxes, do not fold the bottoms shut.
- Do not use boxes without tops, things could fall out during transit and stacking them in the truck is very difficult.
- Avoid using used boxes, especially for heavy or fragile items.
- All desk drawers must be emptied.
- Always pack & unpack breakables over a padded surface.
- Do not over load your boxes, make sure the tops are flat and not bulging.